I am starting to think I am the only person not reading invincible.
I was convinced by board members to read Invincible..glad I did.
Hmm, I know cap loves it.., maybe this winter I will.
Yeah dude, if you like superhero comics at all you should definitely check out Invincible. Plus you can't spend so much time on the Kirkman boards without wanting to read his best book.
I've posted this in a couple places to help people get into the series. It includes a quick and fairly low cost way to get caught up:
There are currently 91 issues out (issue 92 comes out next week) plus an issue 0 and Invincible Returns 1 (both of which are included in the various collected editions. There are several ways to get these:
- There are 3 huge Library editions. They each contain 2 Ultimate Collections worth of issues. These are extra oversized with a bunch of extras in the back. The 3 volumes will bring you through Invincible Returns 1, which is just before issue 71. They are pricey though, about $75 - $80 each on amazon. About $3.34 an issue.
- There are 7 Ultimate Collections hardcovers. They each contain 2 trades worth of issues. These are oversized and I believe the best value for the money. They also have a bunch of extras in the back. The 7 volumes would get you through issue 78. These are about $25 each on amazon. About $2.19 an issue.
- There is a Compendium edition. It contains the first 8 trades and goes through issue 48. It is not oversized and has no extras. It is a very good value and cheap way to get a chunk of issues. This is about #35 - $40 on amazon. About $.75 an issue.
- There are 15 trades. These have a few extras in the back. These trades go through issue 84. They are about $10 - $14 each on amazon. About $2.10 an issue.
These series is so much more enjoyable if you start from the beginning. Not only is it a great read, but there are plot threads and character development that will mean much more to you if you have the history with the book. But if catching up on all those issues is too much I would recommend the following (much cheaper) way to do it:
- Track down a copy of issue #0. It was a jumping on point / recap issue that was released when the series was in the mid-#20's and gives an early history of the series.
- Pick up a copy of Invincible Returns #1 (this should be much easier to find). This is another jumping on point / recap issue released just after issue #70 an gives some of the more recent history of the series.
- This leads directly into the Viltrumite War which is one of the bigger events in the series and leads into current events. So I wouldn't skip it. I'd pick up trades 14 and 15 which get you up to issue 84. (Trade 16 comes out next month and goes through issue 90.)
- Then the singles for 84 through 92 (coming out next week).
You'd miss some good stuff this way (particularly the Conquest arc that happens just before the Invincible Returns issue) and the events won't have as much impact because you won't have built the attachment and history to the characters but it wouldn't be a bad way to get caught up for fairly cheap.
Or just read the Wikipedia info and jump on with issue 92.