Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sovereign
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:56 am 

An interview at Multiversity and some preview pages from SOVEREIGN #1.

http://multiversitycomics.com/interviews/sovereign-paul-maybury-chris-roberson-interview/

I share a few interior previews on my tumblr if you're wanting more.

http://paulmaybury.tumblr.com/post/78880039623/got-my-sovereign-1-comps-in-the-mail

Pick up the first issue March 19th.

Post subject: Re: Sovereign
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:49 am 

Sovereign Takes the Throne (via ImageComics.com)
Chris Roberson (Edison Rex, iZombie) and Paul Maybury (POPGUN, Catalyst Comix) brought to life a multi-layered and intricately-plotted fantasy series on par with Game of Thrones that has drawn the attention of legions of fans in SOVEREIGN #1, which has sold out instantly at the distributor level and will be going into a second printing.

In a world where gods, demons, and magic have slipped into myth, SOVEREIGN tells the story of masked undertakers facing the undead with swords while civil wars threaten the delicate balance between colliding cultures. But out of the ashes of history rises a new threat and the promise that magic has not yet faded into mere memory.

Praise for SOVEREIGN:

“Paul Maybury’s art is excellent, especially for this kind of series. The work has a distinct and specific look, one that draws on inspiration from old, classic stories likeThe Three Musketeers or The Man In The Iron Mask. His pencils are thin, but exquisitely detailed. There is a rustic quality about every panel, which allows for Roberson’s story to really come to life.” —Iann Robinson, Crave Online

“If this comic keeps delivering on the deep epic-fantasy foundations its building in issue #1, and Maybury keeps his design-sense sharpened, Sovereign will absolutely be a long form story worth investing in.” —Vince Ostrowski, Multiversity Comics

“Like the start to Brian K. Vaughan’s Saga, this new world birthed in Sovereign #1 gives the impression of being vast. It feels like there is a good deal to explore, experience, and exploit. Sword-wielding masked monks, dead monsters at sea and hunting parties make for a great start to a fresh feeling fantasy epic waiting to grow with each coming issue.” —Bloody Disgusting

“Even from this inaugural chapter, Sovereign hints at a massive tapestry brimming with curiosities and complexities that could mean volumes to come.” —Sean Edgar, Paste Magazine

SOVEREIGN #1 has completely sold out at the distributor level, but may still be available in comic stores, and is currently available digitally on the Image Comics website (imagecomics.com) and the official Image Comics iOS app, as well as on Comixology on the web (comixology.com), iOS, Android, and Google Play.

Image Comics is pleased to announce that this first issue will be going back to print to meet customer demand. The second printing of SOVEREIGN #1 (Diamond Code FEB148200) will release on 4/23.

SOVEREIGN #2 releases 4/23 as well and will be available to order with Diamond Code FEB140630.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 am 

this book any good? The plot has piqued my interest because I already love A Song of Ice and Fire. And the art reminds me a bit like Paul Pope's style which is a great thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:06 am 

SOVEREIGN #3 hits stores today.

Here's a couple of reviews.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/127568-a-pleasant-surprise-sovereign-3-review-a-pleasant-surprise-sovereign-3-review.html

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/127568-a-pleasant-surprise-sovereign-3-review-a-pleasant-surprise-sovereign-3-review.html

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:05 am 

Reziah wrote:
this book any good? The plot has piqued my interest because I already love A Song of Ice and Fire. And the art reminds me a bit like Paul Pope's style which is a great thing.

It's great. If you like fantasy that does not fall back on the old Orcs and Elves thing and if you are into worldbuilding and creative structuring of a story, this is your thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:26 am 

Awesome. Ok, I might have to hunt down #1. I absolutely LOVE the covers as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:05 am 

Bendrix wrote:
Reziah wrote:

It's great. If you like fantasy that does not fall back on the old Orcs and Elves thing and if you are into worldbuilding and creative structuring of a story, this is your thing.

+1. I just read the first 2 issues and really enjoyed it. The whole thing has an epic feel, this seems like a book that could go a good long while if it gets sales support. The easy thing is to compare it to Game of Thrones in that there are few different storylines unfolding that seem to interconnect at some point. Roberson is a good writer, I liked iZombie and Memorial. The art is fantastic. This is a good book.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:20 am 

Sovereign #4 preview.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:15 pm 

I just finished #1 and #2. Really great story so far, the art and colors are amazing, detail is stunning, and I love how the writer gives the reader a bit of history of this world in the back of the issues. I can tell this is a pretty big universe. Here's hoping for a TON more issues!

Just finished #3 & #4 as well. Wow this series has gotten REALLY good. Ages of giants, dragons, gods, and heroes? AWESOME! And I hope Janramir eventually gets control of the kingdom. He seems the most level headed outta the three brothers. So is #5 the last issue? Don't see anything solicited past that. It seems this can be a 100+ issue story..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:04 pm 

Sovereign 5 is in stores now.

Look for the trade this December!