Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 514, 515, 516, 517, 518  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Listening To? (A Thread for Music Lovers)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:57 am 

and yet i can see the embedded youtube links you cannot.
BOOYAHA!
:lol:

seriously though, i absolutely LOVE,and ADVOCATE, Linux on the server side. i just never got why anyone would want to run that on the Desktop. Oh, well.
:ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:15 pm 

Unless you really are a hardcore computer gamer, Ubuntu is better.

I admit it is NOT for gamers.

Ubuntu is pretty stable compared to Windows. it is less prone to viruses. It does 99.99999% what anyone could want. (see the gamer note above)

It is free and so far does not have an advertisements.

the fact you have "Opt Out" of giving up all of your personal information was creepy on Windows 10. I am glad it is still a choice, but the default settings should be set for security and user rights, in my opinion.

I like being a Linux power user. For me it is more intuitive than Windows. If you are really clever you can do most things in Windows that you can in Linux, the interfaces are different and the tools are usually different.

I basically use my computer to surf the web, write stories, design covers. Linux lets me do that without a lot of hassle. Windows was a constant struggle for me.

This is one of my favorite bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hge8yfUoD_I

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm 

Well me personally, I got my mind warped and messed up by using DOS/Windows all the way back 20+ years to Windows 3.11. So my user interface experience is pretty messed up that way.
:oops:
On the 'privacy' part: most people these days post their entire life on social media for the whole world to see (not that I do that, but most people today do not seem to know or care how any of that works #digibetici).
:evil:
And as far as Linux is concerned: to me personally, it has always been: by technicians, for technicians. and technicians care about operating systems fundamentals, hardware drivers, low-level protocols, etc. But not so much for the john-doe 'end-user' Graphical User Interface experience. So great for the server side. not so much for the Desktop. But, who knows ? Perhaps 2017 may finally be the year of the Linux Desktop !
:ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:44 pm 

having said THAT: (for repetitive tasks especially) the (semi-programmable) command line is still the most intuitive interface for me. however, when doing anything that needs to 'look good', i prefer the graphic interface (MS-Word before LaTex).

also: im pretty sure we've lost anyone else reading this thread. ;) what was it about anyway ? music ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:15 pm 

well, if you sign up for social media, you know implicitly what you are doing, or you should.

Windows 10 was sneaky. "Hey, I just wanted to write some stories in Word, not share my life with Microsoft." Again, they let you turn that shit off but if I have to "expect to lose my privacy" just to use an operating system, that suck.

There is this sense that just because someone shares on one site, they consent to share everywhere all the time.

That is like saying "Hey you like having sex with adult women so we thought you would be alright with us using your penis in a meat grinder." NO! Those things are very very different!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 pm 

i totally agree to NOT want to stick *anything* in a meat grinder.
real life though, people want to install a game, like 'bubble candy witch saga', and just because it seems to be 'free' (well not really, you 'pay' with your personal data but no one realizes that), they click on the 'agree' button without reading, which gives the respective company access to their contact data, gps location data, what you 'like', etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55 pm 

Your suggesting that because I click a box attached to a legal document designed to be as crazy, obscure, and arcane as possible, I am giving up my rights to privacy.

We have people like that here in the U.S.A. they blame little children that get shot in school for not having enough guns to fire back. Some asshole went on public news and said the problem was the 5 year old children did not shoot back!!!!!! WTF. When I was 5 years old I wanted to fly around like Superman. I wasn't training to be a commando.

People have a right to privacy and they have a right to be safe in public places. Just because some asshole decides to shoot up a train station does not mean the people on the train deserved it because they were not wearing bullet proof vests.

Just my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:02 pm 

im not entirely sure what youre trying to say here or what the analogy is (sorry, too late, too tired :oops: ).

But I always thought the 'right-to-gun-ownership-by-civilians-policy' in the USA was batshitcrazy.

#crazyeuropean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 pm 

I apologize. I am not attacking you. There is a lot of crazy things going on in the U.S.A. apparently we are going to get a new 10 Trillion Dollar wall on our Mexican border.

I wonder if Donald Trump understand most of the smuggling is done in tunnels??? :shock:

My point is people here are crazy enough to blame people for being fallible.

My whole life was ruined by one bad day. I had a car accident, I died, I was brought back to life in the back of an ambulance. I missed an important final exam and failed one of my college courses. I retook the course and got an "A", my asshole school averaged my "A" with my "F" and gave me a C+. That dragged my G.P.A. down and nobody will hire me. I am a very smart person but I had one bad day. Now I am virtually unemployable. WTF.

I want to live in a world that lets you recover from a single bad day or multiple bad day. But nope, one shot and you are done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm 

Spy_Number_5 wrote:
I apologize. I am not attacking you. There is a lot of crazy things going on in the U.S.A. apparently we are going to get a new 10 Trillion Dollar wall on our Mexican border.

I wonder if Donald Trump understand most of the smuggling is done in tunnels??? :shock:

My point is people here are crazy enough to blame people for being fallible.

My whole life was ruined by one bad day. I had a car accident, I died, I was brought back to life in the back of an ambulance. I missed an important final exam and failed one of my college courses. I retook the course and got an "A", my asshole school averaged my "A" with my "F" and gave me a C+. That dragged my G.P.A. down and nobody will hire me. I am a very smart person but I had one bad day. Now I am virtually unemployable. WTF.

I want to live in a world that lets you recover from a single bad day or multiple bad day. But nope, one shot and you are done.

point taken.

and dont even get me started on trump.
;)
#crazydemocrateuropean

well, time for me to go now, too late, too tired. lookin forward to continue our discussions later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 514, 515, 516, 517, 518  Next