Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Dragon BEFORE Savage Dragon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:42 am 

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Erik. Most of the info I can remember reDing in different issues, but the Sgt.Marvel stuff is pretty cool.

Free 5 song EP. Just PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:14 pm 

Ive been trying to score original copies of graphic fantasy for fucking ages.

Free 5 song EP. Just PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:38 pm 

you and me both..

A set on Ebay is there $1999 for cgc graded however,.... out of my range.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 am 
M3K

djk300 wrote:
you and me both..

A set on Ebay is there $1999 for cgc graded however,.... out of my range.

Yup, I keep seing that and tell myself I'll never pay that much for them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:11 am 

I finally managed to snag a copy of Megaton #3. It's in the mail now!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 pm 

In case somebody missed it, a piece of Dragon pre-Image history resurfaced on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3zFfbEQWKk

Erik at the Cartoon Museum explaining the genesis of Dragon. And I believe this is the first time we ever see the cover to Erik's Dragon vs Superman... NOT the two-parter that was published by DC in the late 90s, but the issue Erik drew when he was a teenager. It escaped the house fire because he gave it to his grandmother years before.

This kind of stuff really makes me wish the TwoMorrows guys would try to get a "Modern Masters: Erik Larsen" book off the ground. I know it would be a hard sell, but *everything* is a hard sell these days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:14 pm 

Thanks for sharing the info, Gavin.

I remember as a kid I would also make my own comics, printer paper folded and half and stapled down the middle. My main character was "Bat-Dude", who was basically a cross between Guess Who :-), the Green Power Ranger (my favorite), and Death Stroke. Some of my Bat-Dude comics were heavily influenced by "Batman: Mitefall" by Alan Grant and Kevin O'Neill (I highly recommend it). Also, I remember in one of my Bat-Dude mini-comics he was facing a villain I created called "Bong" (I didn't know any better, I was six) who had a bell on top of his head.

Back then it was my dream to create my own comic book company, so all my comics were under the "Global Comics" imprint.

I also remember a comic I made with the neighbor girl Gigi called "Fatboy and Blubber Girl" which was a rip-off of a skit from Freakazoid. Remember that cartoon? So good...

Alas, my house also burned down too and I lost all my comic creations. I eventually took an art class with Don Perlin, the creator of Moon Knight, when I was fourteen or so...By the time I was 17 I had abandoned all ambitions of being a comic book artist and devoted my life to being a drug addict with delusions of grandeur as to being a writer like Henry Miller.

I would love to read Sgt. Marvel's Greatest Comics. I like how Erik's creations have some homages and also just straight up original bad ass characters. Damn, I truly love Savage Dragon...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:03 pm 

Whoa!! I must've missed these. Will the Savage Dragon "Archives" 4 issue mini ever get the digital treatment? I'd love to get a hold of these. :o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 pm 

JayWicky wrote:
In case somebody missed it, a piece of Dragon pre-Image history resurfaced on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3zFfbEQWKk

Erik at the Cartoon Museum explaining the genesis of Dragon. And I believe this is the first time we ever see the cover to Erik's Dragon vs Superman... NOT the two-parter that was published by DC in the late 90s, but the issue Erik drew when he was a teenager. It escaped the house fire because he gave it to his grandmother years before.

This kind of stuff really makes me wish the TwoMorrows guys would try to get a "Modern Masters: Erik Larsen" book off the ground. I know it would be a hard sell, but *everything* is a hard sell these days.

Well, then, Gavin should contact TwoMorrows, specifically Eric Nolen-Weathington who heads up the MM line, and see if they're willing to work with him. Gavin would do most all the work (and gets a published credit and some monetary compensation for his time, I would assume). Because I don't think EN-W himself is interested in doing one by himself. In truth I would suspect that since NONE of the Image founders have yet to have had a book in the MM line, that if EN-W had wanted to do it, he'd have already done so. So it's likely going to take a super-fan of Erik Larsen (or any other worthy party) like Gavin to do the heavy lifting, while he plays editor. Just saying.