Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: ANT
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:50 pm 

Dark-Flux wrote:
Eek. New Spawn villain!?

Yep. King Spider.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:22 pm 

Proverbial misunderstanding between heroes?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:37 pm 

I'm not sure why Erik bought Ant in the first place. He probably poops out better super heroes in his nightmares when he's sleeping off a case of swine flu.

I mean, seems as if Erik could have created a better character himself. She must have a bad ass "story" though I thought Erik rewrote that too so yeah very confusing...Either way sounds like he did the dude a favor...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 am 

BaserB wrote:
I'm not sure why Erik bought Ant in the first place. He probably poops out better super heroes in his nightmares when he's sleeping off a case of swine flu.

I mean, seems as if Erik could have created a better character himself. She must have a bad ass "story" though I thought Erik rewrote that too so yeah very confusing...Either way sounds like he did the dude a favor...
Before ANT became an Image comic book the book was about a kid named Hannah Washington and ANT was her way of escaping the torment of her life--a character that existed only in her diary. Needless to say--though Hannah's story could be compelling--ANT's was not--ANT could never really be in trouble because ANT didn't exist in the real world.

I liked the visual of ANT--very simple, very sleek, very clean--iconic. Too often character designed are unnecessarily complicated and ANT was the polar opposite--her antennae was the only detail on an essentially nude woman. Yeah, she's covered from head to toe with a metallic sheen like the Silver Surfer but her costume's color and antennae made it unique.

Mario and I talked quite a bit about how to make the character work--what it would take and I put considerable thought into it. A couple years later when Mario contacted me about purchasing the character he knew I had put a lot of time and energy into the character. I was interested in the character and I was invested in the character. And though I've never bought a character before or since--I took the plunge.

Could I have created an ANT-like character on my own? Sure. But then I'd be another guy ripping off an established character. I didn't want to do "my Batman" and "my Spider-Man" and "my ANT" --I want to work on my own iconic superheroes. You want to draw Batman? Go work at DC. You want to work on Spider-Man? Go work at Marvel. Creating knockoffs is only a legitimate creative exercise IF you're going to take that idea and take a hard right turn and transform it into something new. If you just want to do that character--do that character. And in this case--I wanted to write and draw ANT--not some shitty ANT knockoff.

ANT is very much the kind of character that I already create. Savage Dragon is akin to ANT. Design-wise, he's a essentially green guy with a fin on his head. Simplicity itself. But few characters are that stripped down. It's not easy to eliminate all detail to the point where you're left with a skin color and subtle details which make a character distinctive and unique. I also like that ANT isn't a version of some other character. There isn't an ANT prototype out there. She's not a female version of a male character the way so many are--Batgirl, Supergirl, Spider-Woman, Mary Marvel and all the rest.

I have no regrets.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 am 

I am thrilled to see Ant appearing in Savage Dragon and Spawn. Does this mean that a new series is coming soon?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:28 pm 

shiznatikus wrote:
I am thrilled to see Ant appearing in Savage Dragon and Spawn. Does this mean that a new series is coming soon?
Yes. Later this year. Working on it now.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:20 pm 
M3K

That's good news. I'll definitely check it out. I wasn't a big fan of Supreme because I don't like the charcter that much and I don't really care that much about Spawn but I really look forward to seeing what you will do with Ant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm 

Stefan wrote:
That's good news. I'll definitely check it out. I wasn't a big fan of Supreme because I don't like the charcter that much and I don't really care that much about Spawn but I really look forward to seeing what you will do with Ant.
Well, cool. Spawn is something of a mixed bag. Todd has a very strong presence and heavy hand. If you don't like what he brings to the table--that's a problem. Ant will be all me.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:02 pm 

This is how jazzed I am for Ant.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:15 am 

I guess that you will draw Ant by yourself? That would mean you work on two books a month. Isnt that a bit much? I mean it should be okay for a few months, but can you keep up for a few years? Or is Ant a mini series?

As we all know, you wouldnt want anyone else but you draw SD, but how is it with Ant? Could you imagine yourself writing the series and let someone else draw the book? If it is sustainable, that is.

I am really happy that you bought the rights. I think she is in capable hands. And i wouldnt mind seeing another artist on the book, if that means a regular schedule of SD and Ant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next