Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What happened to Don Simpson?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 am 

Does Don Simpson create Megaton Man comics anymore? Is he still even in the comic book field? Quickly looking at the comicbook database website shows that he hasn't produced anything recently.

Also, were the back up stories contributed to the Savage Dragon ever collected in a mini-series of some sort?

Post subject: Re: What happened to Don Simpson?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 am 

There was a comic show or free comic day sometime recently where Don Simpson was going to be there. So I'm aware that he's out there doing things like that (public appearances) but I'm not up on Megaton Man so I'm not real sure if anything's been published lately.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 am 

Several years ago, he took part in a book published by Twomorrows, collecting short autobiographical stories by various artists. In his story, he mentioned he was teaching art in college (like Herb Trimpe did at the time, actually). Maybe he's still in the teaching business.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:10 pm 

He has a Facebook account at http://www.facebook.com/donald.simpson. ... ts&fref=ts

And yeah, he's a teacher at the University of Pittsburgh now. I do hope he lets someone reprint all the Meagton Man and Bizzare Heroes stuff, and maybe he could finish/polish up the unpublished Megaton Man stories he did post-911. He doesn't want to pay out of his own pocket, though, so I guess Image is out of the question. Maybe Fantagraphics, or Oni Press, or Dark Horse or IDW would be interested...

They Got the Fin Wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:23 pm 

He teaches in Pittsburgh? Awesome! I totally brain farted and forgot to mention the show he was going to appear at was a local show here hosted by New Dimensions (they've had Jim shooter and some other fellows). It'd be cool to chat him up a bit!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm 

He needs to get back to his Bizarre Heroes comic.

John Pannozzi wrote:
He has a Facebook account at http://www.facebook.com/donald.simpson. ... ts&fref=ts

And yeah, he's a teacher at the University of Pittsburgh now. I do hope he lets someone reprint all the Meagton Man and Bizzare Heroes stuff, and maybe he could finish/polish up the unpublished Megaton Man stories he did post-911. He doesn't want to pay out of his own pocket, though, so I guess Image is out of the question. Maybe Fantagraphics, or Oni Press, or Dark Horse or IDW would be interested...

Image should help publish his comics. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm 

Cezar The Scribe wrote:
Image should help publish his comics. ;)
The sad reality is--we did--back when comics sold considerably better than they do now and they didn't sell well enough to continue doing them. Don self-published and came to the same conclusion. There simply isn't enough of an audience.

These kinds of suggestions often put me in an awkward position as I'm friends with a lot of people whose work I would love to see in print but who can't generate enough sales to make that work. I'd like Image to publish all kinds of comics--but we can't do it. Not if we want to continue publishing comics.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 pm 

Too bad Image didn't offer some kind of digital first option to generate sales and judge interest for print. Hint hint wink wink

(I know the economics are more complicated then that. But I can't help wondering what if...)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:41 am 
M3K

Hm, how would that work? The book would still need to be pencilled, inked and colored which obviously takes time you hardly have if you are pursuing another job.

I think those kickstarter plattforms are what's working best because you know up front wether or not you'll have enough money to get the comic done ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 am 

Savage Raven wrote:
He teaches in Pittsburgh? Awesome! I totally brain farted and forgot to mention the show he was going to appear at was a local show here hosted by New Dimensions (they've had Jim shooter and some other fellows). It'd be cool to chat him up a bit!

You should totally interview him for the podcast!