Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What happened to Don Simpson?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:44 am 

I get Erik's frustration, but I'm not sure Jim deserved to pay for all the others who keep on suggesting unrealistic stuff to Erik like he was to Image what Jim Lee or Dan Didio are to DC, or something.

Now, that being said, I demand that Erik/Mister Image-Man buys the rights to Blue Falcon and Dynomutt because damn it, I want them to fight Powerhouse. C'mon, do it. Why don't you do it it, Erik? You're so mean.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:36 pm 

JayWicky wrote:
I get Erik's frustration, but I'm not sure Jim deserved to pay for all the others who keep on suggesting unrealistic stuff to Erik like he was to Image what Jim Lee or Dan Didio are to DC, or something.

Now, that being said, I demand that Erik/Mister Image-Man buys the rights to Blue Falcon and Dynomutt because damn it, I want them to fight Powerhouse. C'mon, do it. Why don't you do it it, Erik? You're so mean.
The reality is--I can move mountains. I can put any book on the schedule that I want to. As an Image partner I can do that--BUT--I don't. Having backed off from being the publisher--I don't think I should be doing that. I have passed on books to Eric Stephenson that I thought were worth doing and he's taken some on and hasn't taken some on but the number of books I've forced down his throat are almost none.

What I don't want to do is lose the company money. That never goes over well and is not in anybody's interest. But realistically--I absolutely DO have the kind of power Jim or Dan do (plus I don't answer to anybody the way they have to).

Still--it puts me in an awkward bind to have people suggest that Image publish books by friends that I know won't make a profit. I don't want to hurt them or their feelings. I don't want to publicly humiliate them by turning down a book they didn't even pitch. When we turn down books that are pitched at us it's done in private. They don't have to tell the next guy that Image turned them down unless they choose to.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 pm 

Well, this is cool: He's serializing his unpublished Megaton Man stories on this blog.

They Got the Fin Wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm 

And now Dover Publications is releasing a collection of his 1980s space opera comic Border Worlds.

They Got the Fin Wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 pm 

John Pannozzi wrote:
Well, this is cool: He's serializing his unpublished Megaton Man stories on this blog.

Love Don. Love Megaton Man--but Don really needs to get over the Tick.

Yes, Megaton Man predates the Tick. Yes, it's likely a person or two has been confused and thinks the Tick inspired the creation of Megaton Man but both were predated by over-muscled superheroes from numerous sources.

EC did it in the '50s with Superduperman in the comic book version of Mad, Gilbert Shelton did it in the '60s with Wonder Warthog and Dave Sim did it in the '70s with the Cockroach in the pages of Cerebus (which may have been a more direct inspiration for the Tick). These types have been around for decades. Marvel has done them in Not Brand Ecch and What The...?, DC did them in the Inferior Five, Ralph Bakshi did it for The Terrytoons Company in the '60s with The Mighty Heroes. As much as Don might like to believe his creative genius inspired damned near everything--that's simply not the case.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com