Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OFFICIAL SAVAGE DRAGON #223 thread (SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:02 am 

Surprised this hasn't been started yet.

Here is the monthly interview.

http://comicbook.com/comics/2017/04/26/ ... verse-alt/

I just sent Erik a letter, so I don't want to repeat myself too much, but I overall I loved the issue. Great drama with Dragon, Alex, and Jennifer and very well written. Also, think the art in this issue was some of the best.

Things I didn't like was where the Hell is DarkLord? Really surprised he wouldn't have had one of his versions guarding the base. Also, Maxine's presence is starting to wear thin for me. She's getting a little too sex crazed and bonky and makes me question her loyalty to Malcolm. Either way, her characterization seemed to be one of the weakest links in the last few issues.

Overall, great issue, and hoping 224 brings in the big guns and can't wait to see DarkLord reaction to what Glum did. Also crossing my fingers for the return of Rakkum.

Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL SAVAGE DRAGON #223 thread (SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:50 pm 

This issue was okay in my book. Art was great as usual and the appearance of Kevin/Thunderhead is always welcome. Nevertheless it felt like a bit of a transition issue, just building up to the next one. Although it was billed as part one of the story, it felt more like a prelude. The only part of the story that seemed essential to the promised 'merging of multiple earths' was the Mr Glum thread, and while the ending there was cool, it did feel to me as if the story won't be kicking off properly until issue #224.

There were some really cool moments though: Marsha fighting alongside Malcolm, Dragon, Jennifer, and Angel was fun; Erik can really draw chaotic battle scenes well (even if the villains here were somewhat generic). Furthermore Jennifer punching the guy who was grappling Angel and knocking his eye out was a great visual. Also the first panel on the last page with Glum sitting on his big robot butt with the disassembled components of Darklord's tech all around him was whimsical in a good way.

Still, the issue feel mostly like an in between moment to me. Looking forward to the next one though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:20 am 

Abbot wrote:
Still, the issue feel mostly like an in between moment to me. Looking forward to the next one though.

I'll agree that this was set things up for the upcoming two issues, but I still thought it was a pretty fantastic issue. 225 is around the corner and I believe that one needs a bit of set up as it's going to be a dozy.

I'm really curious to see if Erik will end up killing anyone major in 225 with the three major candidates being DarkLord, Dragon, & Glum as the solicits stated that this will be the final battle between Dragon & DarkLord. I think there is a decent chance DarkLord might go, but you never know as that might be too obvious. Dragon is a bit more of the wild card of the three. If he goes it would be shocking and Malcolm could finally own the book without people always mentioning when Dragon will be back. However, this is Dragon and I'm a big fan, so personally I'm hoping he pulls through. Of the three Glum is probably the least likely to go as he seems to be Erik's favorite besides Maxine. So I think it's pretty safe to assume he's safe. With that being said, I hope he ends up getting his head crushed by Dragon who can finally rid himself of his arch enemy.

Then again, maybe none of the three will die and DarkLord and Dragon might actually make peace which is why this is their final battle. (Hope that doesn't happen though)

I'm pretty excited and nervous to read what will happen, but I think 223 needed to be the way it was to set up the big event in 224 & 225.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:50 pm 

This was an awesome issue. Tons of development, tons of action and the art recently has been phenomenal. And we get an extra 8 pages of Larseny goodness as a backup!

As an old school fan the last couple of issues have been a joy, with Dragon back and Alex. With this issue we get to see Jen in her awesome costume as well as the return of Mighty Man and reference to the S.O.S.

The colouring this issue was particularly good in highlighting the detail in Erik's work and I don't know if it's Nikos or Erik's doing but the texturing in the colours is really effective.

Another brilliant issue.

Mikey

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:56 pm 

Hey, guys!! Good issue. Once again, the cover really reminds us now, and in the future how this issue was.

Dragon fought in action again.

Maxine now can say anything. And the family always looks ready for it like Angel's out of a 17 years coma, and suspended in animation mom.

And, I really liked the sci fi art of Glum returning to Darklord's base. It reminded me of Vanguard's ship. And this is the green light, for hobby Image Comics artists to draw their own sci fi backgrounds in their comics.

The last female dragon mother subplot was a good update. I wanted for exactly what she said about how all 165 offsprings were not related, and could later on reproduce once adults.

See you guys again sometime this month when issue #224 comes out!! With giant sized #225 coming up soon, it's going to be a good ride!!

Larsen said that he may have a 12 pages letters column, and for people to write in now about issue #223!! In issue #225!!

See ya soon!! Lol :P

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:39 pm 

DanakinImageWalker wrote:
Larsen said that he may have a 12 pages letters column, and for people to write in now about issue #223!! In issue #225!!
No, no, no--I absolutely will not have a 12-page letters column in #225. I was saying that it would be acceptable to run that many letters in an ordinary issue because your expectation is a 20-page story and nothing more but that in a 100-page issue that would NOT be acceptable behavior! SD #225 will likely have a two-page letters column. At most--three.

www.savagedragon.com
www.imagecomics.com

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:40 pm 

Erik Larsen wrote:
No, no, no--I absolutely will not have a 12-page letters column in #225. I was saying that it would be acceptable to run that many letters in an ordinary issue because your expectation is a 20-page story and nothing more but that in a 100-page issue that would NOT be acceptable behavior! SD #225 will likely have a two-page letters column. At most--three.

Oh, ok. I just re-subscribed to it too. #225 is a big selling point. Congratulations on making all 12 issues of my past subscription. Todd's been dishing out Spawn the same way.

I don't know how Marvel's subscriptions come intact through the mail, but Image's always protect the comic. Let's start promoting it. My comic book shop still won't order your comic on the racks. But you got your upwards 3,000 collectors a month!! Lol

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 am 

The issue was good as usual, but Maxines getting on my nerves with her behavior. But i think there is a reason for her horny-ness.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:40 pm 

Erik Larsen wrote:
DanakinImageWalker wrote:

I sent mine in today. I hope I wasn't too late to make the cut!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:05 pm 

supersonic wrote:
The issue was good as usual, but Maxines getting on my nerves with her behavior. But i think there is a reason for her horny-ness.

Agree big time.