Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OFFICIAL SAVAGE DRAGON #225 thread (SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 am 

Well, shit. I actually think this might be the most epic comic I've read in the last decade, if not ever.

Spoilers are coming up, so if you haven't read the issue yet, get the hell outta here.

I'm surprised, and not surprised, but Dragon is dead, and the way the issue ended, it's safe to say that he's gone for forever. Erik said if he were to kill off Dragon forever, it would end the way this one ended. He hasn't been the main star in years, but we have spent so much time with the character, that you can't help, but feel heartbroken.

With that being said, he went out fighting and took out DarkLord for the final time as well. Along with the battle in 156, this one was one of the best battles in the books entire run.

This is what I wanted #200 to be, but the wait was worth it. I can't believe how beautiful and epic this comic was, and I'm not sure how to express it properly. After being disappointed with how rushed the last arc of Invincible has been in terms of getting things done within a short amount of space while trying to be epic, these three issues really show how it's supposed to be done. It was only three issues, but the resonation it has, will not be long forgotten.

Only drawback was that Glum escapes for another day, but I'm not surprised this happened either. Hope he gets what's coming to him, sooner rather than later.

225 was worth the wait, and this might be the contender for the best damn comic issue of the last 10 years.

Oh, and Raven if you're still looming on these boards, I don't think I've ever seen your art in color before, and it looked amazing! Loved that back-up as well.

Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL SAVAGE DRAGON #225 thread (SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am 

It was a really terrific issue. Hate that Dragon's gone... I like Malcolm but it's just not quite the same. Their personalities basically seem the same to me, only with Malcolm being the young Peter Parker / Nova / Miles Morales type and Dragon being the badass veteran hero a la Ben Grimm / Wolverine / DKR Batman... like they could be the same dude at different points in their life. But I liked the veteran hero angle and the aesthetics of "Paul" Dragon more.

I also thought it would have been cool for Erik to do a father-and-son superhero book (has that ever been done before?) if Dragon regained his powers. Maybe they could have been partners on the force or something.

Erik, on your end -- how did it feel to transition to Malcolm? I mean, for most of your life you've been drawing Paul Dragon in one form or another... was it weird to switch? Did you keep him alive for this long because you weren't sure if you were going to go back?

BTW, I don't really get why Malcolm was totally overpowered by Darklord to the point where he gave up trying, but Dragon was able to hang with Darklord, despite having the exact same powers as Malcolm.

I was thinking, "Well, Dragon died but at least we finally ditched Mr Glum." And then that last page... :(

I actually had a pile of Dragon comics building up (along with a bunch of other physical books), SD #119-224, so I decided to read them all before #225 in the last few days... I really think the book reads a lot better in big chunks like that. The build-up to #225 was really well done. That said, is anyone finding the nudity a little jarring? I'm not a big prude on that front -- big Richard Corben and Wally Wood fan here -- but I guess I'm not used to seeing actual nudity in SD. Seeing longtime characters like Alex Wilde, Jen Murphy and Angel in various states of undress felt weird.

I was actually losing interest in the book and buying to keep my collection complete (don't feel bad, Erik -- this book is literally the only thing keeping me from dropping periodical comic magazines altogether) but I got back into the title full force after binging those issues. I learned my lesson after dropping the book around #115 -- I didn't come back until around the #230s and it was a huge pain in the ass trying to get all the issues I missed. Not doing that shit again.

Anyway, this is an incredible achievement and the book lived up to the hype. Other than the gap mentioned above, I've been reading since I was 13 or 14... and I'm 37 now. I haven't come close to collecting another title for that long, I usually pick up and drop books based on the creators. This is a one-of-a-kind title and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

Damn, I can't believe Erik really killed off the Dragon...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 pm 

Interview is up:

http://comicbook.com/comics/2017/07/26/ ... ragon-225/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:38 pm 

I assume this is another book where the art was drawn "twice up" size like the old days. I love that .. everybody should do that. To me, that's the way comics should be drawn ..

Story wise .. jam-packed with information and references and twists I didn't see coming. I love that as well .. never know what the next page will bring.

Two things I didn't understand. Damien saying "Grandfather" .. I had to search the SD wiki to get that one. I had forgotten the complete origin of Damien ..

The other is the last page with Glum .. I mean, I understand what was going on .. but don't see how he got there after FRAKKA-KA-KOW. I also didn't get how the person he was performing a C-Section on got there at first .. but then I re-read and saw the broken tube.

Liked the happy ending for Paul Dragon .. right on ..

Enjoyed all the other stories as well ..

Anyhow, what a great issue, well worth the wait .. a bargain at twice the price. I've already read it twice and will read it again .. there is so much there. Thanks for all the excellence ..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:28 am 

ColonelLee wrote:
I assume this is another book where the art was drawn "twice up" size like the old days. I love that .. everybody should do that. To me, that's the way comics should be drawn ..

I agree, I think this was the best art job Erik's done in a while. I was actually kinda blown away by it at some points.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:32 pm 

Kudos Erik on 225 issues, that is incredible! I'll read this thread fully once that issue is in hand (in a week or two). On the twice up thing, I'll buy it if it's drawn on a napkin, I just want more and more pages of Dragon, keep it coming. Please, thank you. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:49 pm 

I loved it as well. Awesome.

Instagram: apolloandartemis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:00 am 

When i saw the cover i thought: Cool, Dragon is back, powered up!!

Then he took the blood and it occured to me, that it was maybe just temporary. I was ready to enjoy it as long as it would last.

Then he said, he had to get it out of his bloodstream (or something like that) and ok, so i will get the depowered Dragon back, no biggie.

Next page...he died. I was WTF???? Seconds later....mouth still wide open: Ahhhh...he will be back next year or so...I looked at the cover and there was this label called Image Comics instead of Marvel. And the creator was Erik Larsen instead of Bendis. It sank in...Dragon is gone.

The page where Dragon is in heaven made me smile again.