Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: What Are You Reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:44 am 

It was a decent day of comics for me yesterday....

Image Image Image Image

Invincible was a good read and nice to have an issues that is not 100% fighting, face smashing. This book is at its best when it gets back to real life drama and quirky fun.

Both of the Green Lantern books were stand alone stories - which is crazy to think that almost every comic this day seems to be written for the trade that is it refreshing to get a stand alone issue every now and then.

I still need to read Cobra tonight.

IMAGE ADDICTION

Post subject: Re: What Are Your Reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:52 am 

I picked up a couple books from last weekend. Need to get to the LCS for this weeks stuff.
But honestly with inventory on my comics, I've been rereading stuff I have. :D

On the last couple of issues of Justice. Once I was able to sit down and read it all in big chunks like now I liked it a lot more than I did when it was coming out.
Tales of Tellos - I love this series, and the world that Todd Dezago and Wieringo created for Tellos.
Y: The Last Man - TPBs 2 & 3 haven't gotten to 3 yet, but man this story is good.

That's about it so far....trying to get organized so I try not to read too much when I'm done sorting books. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:15 am 

As for back issues, I am working my way through Ron Marz's run on Witchblade. I am currently on Witchbalde Volume 5 which takes place around, and includes parts of, First Born.

I really love how Marz has incorporated the Top Cow Universe into this book without making you feel like you need to know or be overly family with the other characters. There has been appearances by The Darkness, Angelus, Magdalena, CyberForce, and Hunter-Killer. As you read Witchblade you get to experience a tight universe with some unique characters. I am curious to see what he does as Artifacts wraps up the first 13 issues and it becomes an ongoing from a maxi-series.

IMAGE ADDICTION

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:15 am 

Invincible #81 was great this week, and you're right Mike, the "in-between" issues are when Kirkman is at his best.

Amazing Spider-Man #666 was a cool start to "Spider-Island", and Stefano Casselli's art was fantastic.

The Vault #1 was a good start. We were introduced to the cast, and the plot moved along nicely. Beautiful art from Garrie Gastonny. As this is a 3 issue mini-series, I expect that then next 2 issues will be chock full of craziness. Plus, Sam Sarkar (the writer) is from Halifax, and he's set the story on Sable Island, which is just off the coast of Nova Scotia. 8-)

I haven't had the chance to read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969 yet, but flipped through it, and it looks great. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight.

I also picked up the digital omnibus of Planetary on Comixology, so I've been reading that. I'm only up to issue #6, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 am 

murch wrote:
I also picked up the digital omnibus of Planetary on Comixology, so I've been reading that. I'm only up to issue #6, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

How is it reading big chunks digitally? I do it for single issues because of the podcast and I am fortunate enough that Image provides me digital copies in advance but I don't know about doing that on a consistent basis.

IMAGE ADDICTION

Post subject: Re: What Are You Reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:29 am 

I would like to go back back and pick up the Witchblade trades. The character has always intrigued me. And I like the Top Cow universe, I just don't read it consistently. I used to have all the issues of The Darkness vol. 1..but when vol. 2 came out it messed up the character, and the Phil was bringing it back, but I only have the first two trades of it.

I need to get to a shop and get this weeks comics, but I don't imagine I'll be able to find The Vault so that'll probably have to be a online order, but that one looks good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 am 

I like it, actually. For $24.99, Planetary was a pretty good deal as well (works out to less than $1/issue).

My latest read-through of Proof was on my iPad as well. The fact that I can carry my collection around in a device the size of one TPB is a huge convenience factor.

I'd love if the publishers started offering some more stuff in digital TPB or digital Omnibus format. Buying single issues at $1.99 seems a little steep to me (but I understand the economics of it with Apple taking 30% right off the top, and Comixology probably getting a good share as well).

I recently bought all of the Atomic Robo TPBs on Comixology as well. That's a pretty fun little series. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:39 am 

I had Atomic Robo on my list of things to check out and just have not gotten around to it. There are A LOT of those types of series though :oops:

As for digital, I agree with the convenience factor especially if you are a big shot like you and have an iPad :lol: To be honest if I still traveled like I use to then I would grab an iPad and be all over the format. I use to carry a couple of trades with me on the plane but it was limiting to what I was able to read and if I got delayed in an airport then I would blow through all of my reading material. There are some books that I collect because I like owning all of the issues but there are more and more series that I am cool with the idea of going digital.

IMAGE ADDICTION

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:41 am 

Yeah I'd go the iPad route too, except for expense. And there aren't many things I would read digitally. I'm still firmly attached to holding the book in my hand, and feeling it.

Atomic Robo is great! I've picked up a few of the issues and I loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 pm 

You know what was way better than I expected? The new Daredevil #1. I liked it a lot.

A

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next