Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: age appropriateness question about Proof
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:25 pm 

i have a very intelligent(like way above her age level) 9 year old to buy a present for. I've given her comics in the past that were meant for kids and she loved them, and even kept them in the plastic bags with boards that I gave them to her in... so there's no question that she likes comics. But what brings me here is she is obsessed with cryptozoology. I think it's because of all these bigfoot and chupacabra shows on tv. I read the first issue of proof on comixology and I didn't see anything inappropriate, but I'm wondering if it gets worse. The genre on Wikipedia is horror. I want to pick up the first trade for her. Is there anything too scary for a kid? Is there any swearing or sex at any point? If there's swearing or sex, I can't get it.. so I need your help. I'm probably gonna start reading this myself, but I won't be able to read enough on time for Christmas to know if it's ok for her.

Post subject: Re: age appropriateness question about Proof
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:54 am 

Hmm. That's a good question. I haven't let my nine-year-old read Proof yet, but he's very sensitive to violence. Sex isn't on his radar in any way yet and he seems to gloss over references to it without showing any curiosity. I can't remember that there's any sex in Proof, or nudity, though in the second or third volume two characters wake up in bed together. There is, however, a brief scene late in the first trade of a fairy birth. It's extremely violent, with fairies and brownies cutting open a pregnant fairy to release the eggs she's carrying. The actual murder of the pregnant fairy only takes a single panel and that panel's colored red, so it might be hard for a little kid to "get" what's happening, but the scene is meant to be disturbing and I would take a look at it, if I were you, before giving the book to her, to see how comfortable you are with it.

That's my two cents. Thanks for checking in. Please come back and let us know what you decide. (You might help me figure out when it's okay to show Proof to my own kid.)

(Oh, and there are rumors of a series of hardcover Proof collections coming out next year, so maybe don't invest in a whole set of the trades yet, unless that's your format of preference.)

A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 am 

Alex Grecian wrote:
(Oh, and there are rumors of a series of hardcover Proof collections coming out next year, so maybe don't invest in a whole set of the trades yet, unless that's your format of preference.)

A

??? :D That's huge news (or rumour thereof), Alex!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 am 

Alex Grecian wrote:

A

Oh hell yeah! Hopefully oversized like the invincibles, chews, TWDs, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm 

thanks for the input guys.. I didn't see what you wrote on time for it to effect my decision on whether to get the book or not.. but I think you deserve a thank you and if you feel like it here's the rest of the tale:
I was on the comicbookresources forum and a guy said it would be totally appropriate.. and that theres no swearing or nudity.. so I said.. hey this girls pretty mature I think she can handle it if this guy's right. She loves Chupacabra. She sent me an e-mail about how its existence was recently proven(of all the channels i'd think would corrupt the minds of children, I never would have guessed the History channel).

So I decided "well.. i dont know if comic book fans are the best judges of what's appropriate." I mean.. the entertainment we embrace has a high potential for effed up shi+. We get desensitized easily. I worried a little about myself when Mark Grayson's intestines were hanging out of his body. So I decided I'd read the first trade myself. I ordered it, and I got halfway through in one sitting.. and I loved it.. I'll probably start following the series.. but for a 9 year old? that guy either didnt read it or was trying to screw me over.

Within the first 5 minutes I saw human skins hung out to dry, blood, a horrifying chupacabra(which is a problem if you consider the fact that she believes in chupacabra, it might not be best if she imagines a slightly less horrifying animal), and naked fairies! WTF. Good story though.. but not for a 9 year old.

So on one of the forums someone mentioned perhapanauts... I picked up an issue of that today with the rest of my stack and it fits the bill completely. I don't understand how i missed that one. It's almost the exact same premise.. except cuter and friendlier. I want to be able to accommodate her interest in cryptozoology, so I'm definitely ordering the first trade of that for her. I hope it's true about the hardcover proof collections because in a few years she'll be old enough for that stuff and I can give her the upgrade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:44 am 

Ah! Perhapanauts! Don't know why that slipped my mind as a possible suggestion. :oops:

Todd and Craig are great guys and their book ought to be right in your daughter's wheelhouse. Glad it worked out and you found a good fit. Hope she has a wonderful Christmas.

A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:10 pm 

actually I just realized the way I typed that was misleading.. when I said "I have.." I meant I have to buy a gift for her, but she's not my daughter, she's actually my cousin.. but she may as well be my niece.. my mother was the oldest of 9 kids and her mother was the youngest.. so I'm 28 and shes 9 I was really excited to pull her name for xmas this year for a number of reasons. Her Mom has always been closer to me than any of my Aunts.. and when she finally had a daughter, and then a son, I was in College and had a full time job, and it was my first full time job, so being the low man on the totem pole, and not having my priorities straight, I worked every holiday and it was rare that i'd see my cousins.. and all of the younger ones only really know me through pictures and the brief appearances I made years ago when they were too young to really remember anything, and then I got Cancer. I'm in remission now, but being on immunosuppressants for the past 2 years, I still haven't been able to go to family gatherings because there are so many young kids.. but now several of the "babies" are grown up and they still have no idea who I am. This year I might finally get to go see those relatives on Christmas eve and I want to make a good impression on these kids who are probably gonna be really shy around me. A few months ago when I saw my Aunt, I gave her a few comic books to give to her kids.. a couple of all ages spider-mans for the little dude and Takio for her. My aunt told me her son changed his favorite super hero from Batman to Spider-Man.. and her daughter finished her comics and placed them back in their bags and boards.. When I heard that I was like "wow this kid is cool".

So when I got her name for Christmas I was pretty excited. She's still just a kid.. so I'm not gonna just give her books.. that would be cruel.. She apparently collects these "Monster High" dolls... they're like Barbies except they're zombies, ghosts, monsters, and what not.
So she'll get the first perhapanauts trade, a pale skinned doll, and a spare outfit that looks like something Lady Gaga would wear.
I'll be keeping the proof trade for myself so everything works out great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:18 am 

Yeah, I commented in the CBR thread as well trying to discourage you from giving it to a 9 year old. Proof is one of my favorites, but my kids aren't going to read it because it's not appropriate. You have to remember that alot of dudes on internet message boards don't have kids nor any concept of what is appropriate for them.

Glad you liked Proof though. The whole series is one of my favorites.

My daughter loves those Monster High dolls too.