Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cute Convention Story
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm 

So, I attended the Free State Comicon in Lawrence, Kansas this past Saturday. I only go because I know that Mr. Alex Grecian will be there and I can pick up a Proof trade.

This year I took my 9 year old son and my 6 year old daughter..

We make our way to Alex's table and I tell him that I'd like to buy trade #5.

Alex pulls the trade off the stack, flips open the front cover, and begins to sign it.

At that point my daughter cries out, "Daddy, he's ruining your book!"

This was her first con :)

Variety Smack! - The most important web comic in all of human history.

Post subject: Re: Cute Convention Story
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:11 am 

that is great - Alex is a big meany to the kids :lol:

IMAGE ADDICTION

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:21 am 

michaeljsmith wrote:
that is great - Alex is a big meany to the kids :lol:

I did have to pull her away when Alex vaulted the table and came at her with a look of violence in his eyes.

;)

Variety Smack! - The most important web comic in all of human history.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:12 pm 

I can totally see him doing that --- he once kicked a panda in the head

IMAGE ADDICTION

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:57 pm 

I think Alex is actually pretty good at Cons. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to stand up, grab somebody and yell at them to buy the dang book! when Alex let me hang out with him. I didn't of course. But I wanted to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:29 am 

I was at a con a couple of years ago talking to Ryan Bodenheim who did the art on A Red Mass for Mars and Halcyon. He had his penciled pages in a portfolio for the second issue on his table before the first book came out. Some guy walked up, flipped through it and then said "I am not sure this is for me" to which I replied "why do you not enjoy good comics?". Probably not the best sales pitch to help somebody sell their book :oops: :lol:

IMAGE ADDICTION

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am 

Hi guys. Haven't been around in a while. Hope everyone's well.

I don't like bitching for the sake of bitching and I'm not a uber-negative guy, but I wanted to share a bit of a con experience I didn't think was cute. It's irked me for a bit and generally kept it to myself. I mentioned to a few of you on Facebook how much of an enjoyable experience it was meeting Greg Capullo at NYCC. It was one of 3 hilights of my first ever con. It made the several thousands of dollars to fly there stay in an over-rated extremely expensive hotel worth it for the few minutes of joy and elation intalking to some of my "heroes".

I know comic guys aren't rock stars or anythnig close to idols and nor are they role models to a balding (although still very cool) 40 year old man. I also know that everyone has their own distinct personality and that you want ot interact with that "hero" on a friendly basis. People have bad days too.

But I saw one of my heroes at an ugly disengenuous moment and another was a miserable prig whom I can only assume showed up at all for the cash he could generate with as minimal effort as possible. Pre-signed art, books and other various paraphenalia on his table and even during actual signing timeframes made no effort to engage in conversation, ask a name or in a couple of instances couldn't be bothered to even make eye contact. I honestly would have preferred to keep my illusion of fan fascination and desire to meet him than to have actually had the misfortune of being in his presence.

The other "gentleman" was a much sought after individual and although I saw him several times on the convention floor, respected him enough to not keep him from getting from point a to point b in a hurry. I've read enough about cons to know that there is a very strict scehedule these professionals adhere to and I don't want to be the reason some kid doesn't get his book signed cuz I'm busy lavishing attention on the guy while he eats a hot dog or takes a whiz.

Well another fan didn't read the memo and asked for a photo with the guy. Although the guy obliged I watched the guy roll his eyes to his friend...then I watched him get noticeably frustrated when they couldn't get the camaera to work the first time...then when the pic was taken the guy couldn't even muster a smile and the minute the flash went off the guy biolted without even saying your welcome when the fan thanked him for his time. As he passed me I heard him utter an obscenity, like he had just gotten pulled over by a cop or something. I was extremely disheartened. With this individual being one of the more recognized in the industry, I can't see me being the only one who noticed his demeanor. Really....couldn't he have feigned interest in the public eye? Doled out a little graciousness? It really shouldn't bother me this much, as I wasn't slighted, but for that fan..does he delude himself and pretend it was a positive experience, or did he go away feeling like he was an inconvenience to the guy to whom he fostered an affinity for his work?

I look at this guy a little differently now. You're selling a little bit of your personality when you are interacting at a con. Comporting yourself with a little class isn't too much to ask, if only until you get off that convention floor. :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:52 am 

Hey, EK, good to see you round these parts.

I feel like I could write a book in response to your post, but I don't have time right now to respond the way I'd like to. I'm sorry you had a bad experience at a con and I can't defend the guy you're talking about (partly 'cause I don't know who he was, but mostly 'cause I wasn't there). He might be a complete asshole. He might also be a great dude who was desperate for a bathroom break or a cigarette. He might've felt sick that day, but showed up for the con anyway so he wouldn't disappoint anyone. The guy who wanted a picture with him might've smelled awful or barfed on the creator's shoes earlier that day or posted something nasty about him online.

Or that creator might just be an asshole. (Did I already say that?)

The point is that we're all people and there are many many reasons why any of us might make a bad impression on someone else on any given day. Not asking you to cut the guy some slack, but, y'know, maybe you should anyway.

I don't mean to pick on you. Just wanted to play Devil's Advocate. (Or maybe I'm an asshole.)

A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:59 pm 

I've been to a few of the small to medium sized Cons now, and while they have all be very enjoyable for different reasons I've seen good and bad individuals on both sides of the table.

I'm not making an excuse for the dude EK, because it does sound a little asshatsish. But like Alex said we're not really sure what all happened.

I've been lucky enough to meet several great creators at the Cons I've been to, but I also only go to talk to the guys that I have "met" here on the boards too. And they have all been pretty cool. Even Rob Liefeld who helped me not smeer the ink on the Image United posters I got signed for some of the board guys in Baltimore a couple years ago. Which surprised me...but all the dudes at the Image table that day were cool.

But I also don't tend to go meet people that I haven't "talked" to before. I'm kind of shy, like last year I really wanted to go talk to Gail Simone as she sat maybe 20 yds from Alex and I. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Chickened out.

I still remember the first time I met Dwight MacPherson. Not a huge name in the comic industry but he wrote some stuff I liked, and we'd chatted on the boards for awhile. But when I met I was still "fan" struck. Same with all the other creators I've met, but like I said I've talked to them some before I actually meet them.

But hopefully that won't put you off of Cons, and maybe one day we'll all be able to meet up at one and hang out! That's what all that was going toward...but I ramble. :mrgreen:

One creator that totally freaks me out is Jason Aaron. He's a nice guy, from what I can tell from the couple of times I've talked to him. He was cool telling me about Scalped...and some of his other books. Pleasent to talk with, and everything. But for some reason he freaks me out. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 pm 

I'm cool with anyone thinking I'm judging the guy a little harshly. I shouldn't hold my expectations to be the norm. You know how you have a plan in your head of how things will transpire, but real life deals you something different? I think that's what I experienced. I anticipated puppies and Ice cream and got kittens and sherbet. Nothing entirely earth shattering, just different from what I expected of them.

For being so blunt and opinionated, I found Erik Larsen to be refreshingly friendly and outgoing and the same for Todd MacFarlane. The way they post or conduct interviews sometimes comes off as very ascerbic, but both seemed genuinely fun loving and down to earth, contrary to what I expercted.

The negative experience took up soo little of my con time, but it did leave an indelible impression.

Oh...and Alex Saviuk ROCKS! what an earnest and likeable fellow. I picked up a piece from his Superman work, got some prints and a photo. Wish I had picked his brain about his GL work, but I was so fan-struck, some stuff slipped my mind.

Sorry if i seemed overly negative.

Last edited by emeraldknyght on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.