Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cute Convention Story
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:19 pm 

Hmmm...nope. Not me. I suck at guessing games. :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:28 pm 

I didn't think you were negative. I've just experienced unpleasant things from both sides of the table and so I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt.

A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:36 pm 
M3K

There has been a few creators I've enjoyed that seem a bit stand offish or uninterested. Some I've just seen it as maybe a bit of a bad day or I get such a douche vibe that I just walk off and not think much of it or I make note not to care to bother talking to them again and I also can't help but just look at their art differently. One year I was very excited in meeting Peter David. This is the man that made me so in love with comics that I felt this was what I wanted to do with my life. I was a bit turned off when I met him, it was just a pretty weird vibe and I just didn't feel like being around him. It didn't feel like he was being stand offish on purpose, but it was a bit of a smart alec vibe. The second time I met him a year after, he was incredibly pleasant to talk to and we chatted for quite a good bit.

Mark Texeira was very stand offish and just seem to be annoyed with anyone who wasn't paying to get a piece f his work and I've never looked at him the same again. Lou Ferrigno will always and forever be a dick in my eyes. I went to go say hello and that I dug his work, the guy looked at my hand in disgust and pushed passed me. A few people watched that happen and were saying how much of a dick he was and I played it off jokingly saying, "I'll never wash this shoulder again! He bumped me!" which got a few people to laugh. And what's funny is 2 years before that, a guy at a con was telling me how rude he was to him and his son, who was maybe 7-10 and a Hulk fan, and I was saying maybe he just had an off day. Seems Lou ALWAYS has an off day from accounts I've heard from other people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:42 pm 
M3K

I also agree about Greg Capullo being crazy crazy cool. Dude was so damn funny. I was a bit afraid of approaching him because I didn't want him to be a jerk, but man was he great. McFarlane too was also cool to talk to and Larsen always has a smile on his face, also a nice chill vibe.

One artist who always seems a tad weird to me is Chris Giarrusso. For someone's artwork is also so chipper, he always seems the opposite. And I've met and interacted with this guy quite a few times, the first time being at the Kid's Comic Con. But I never think too much of it. It's never to the point where he seems rude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 am 

Alex Grecian wrote:
I didn't think you were negative. I've just experienced unpleasant things from both sides of the table and so I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt.

A

I don't know how you guys do it. I know just the little bit of time I spent hanging out with you in KC last year watching people walk by and not give Proof much more than a glance I wanted to jump up and shake some people! I can't imagine how it would be if I had worked hard on the book and people sort of brushed it off like that. I'd probably slap somebody just on principle. Then shove a copy of my book in their bag and take their wallet. :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:57 am 

This isn't about a comic creator, but still happened at a comicon.

I went to my first con a couple years ago. I bought a ticket for my mom because Lou Ferrigno was going to be there and she had a crush on him since she was a teenager (it was the best mother's day present I could think to give her). She was real excited to meet him and I was excited for her. We walked around the hall and I spotted him at his signing table from a short distance. I gave her a nudge, she looked over, and immediately got this amazing look of happiness on her face. She was really nervous to talk to him, so we stood around for a few minutes while she mustered up some courage. When she went up to him, she started to gush and told him how much she loved watching him as the Hulk and how she even had this picture of his arm from some magazine back in the 80s. He acted like she wasn't even talking to him. Just nodded, added in some "Uh huh"s and "great"s. When they took a picture together, he looked so bored and was focusing on everything except her and the camera.

My mom was too happy about meeting someone she had admired for so long to notice what a jerk he was being. I didn't say anything about it because I didn't want to ruin her moment. It's just something that's always bothered me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:35 am 

EdKeener wrote:
I don't know how you guys do it. I know just the little bit of time I spent hanging out with you in KC last year watching people walk by and not give Proof much more than a glance I wanted to jump up and shake some people! I can't imagine how it would be if I had worked hard on the book and people sort of brushed it off like that. I'd probably slap somebody just on principle. Then shove a copy of my book in their bag and take their wallet. :shock: :mrgreen:

You make me sound so pathetic! :oops:

Really, if I'm at a con, it's to see my friends, both pros and fans. And sometimes I get to sneak away and shop a little. The fans at local KC cons have mostly already seen me and read all the Proof they care to read. I get a free table and I don't go to sell stuff (in fact, I don't think I took more than a handful of trades to the last one I attended). But thanks for your pity, man. :lol:

A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am 

Just curious... Anybody know whether Lou Ferrigno can read lips? Is it possible he can't hear anything anybody's saying to him?

A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 am 

Alex Grecian wrote:
EdKeener wrote:

You make me sound so pathetic! :oops:

Really, if I'm at a con, it's to see my friends, both pros and fans. And sometimes I get to sneak away and shop a little. The fans at local KC cons have mostly already seen me and read all the Proof they care to read. I get a free table and I don't go to sell stuff (in fact, I don't think I took more than a handful of trades to the last one I attended). But thanks for your pity, man. :lol:

A

HaHaHa :lol:

Sorry that wasn't what I meant to convey. And I didn't think about it being a "local" market.

But that's cool that you go to hang out...you going to be there next year?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:53 am 

EdKeener wrote:
But that's cool that you go to hang out...you going to be there next year?

I don't know yet. I might have to skip it next year because it's mighty close to my deadline on the second novel. I may be at the inevitable panicky stage by then, cooped up in my tiny office, typing my fingers to the bone.

I hope to hit a lot more cons after that.

A

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next