Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Jack Staff re-read, and--Coming Comics!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:26 am 

I’m treating myself to a full rereading of Jack Staff, Dancing Elephant on. Now in the midst of the Image run.
About the time I crossed over from the Dancing Elephant issues, you announced new issues of Jack and Kane were being readied for 2014. Very exciting news.

I really hope you find ways to keep parts in black and white—it’d be great to see your new issues as black and whites, but I wonder if The Market Will Allow. Crossing over into the Image comics was like coming from the comfort of dark and light into the blaring glaring multi-spotlights of color. Hurt my eyes for a couple of issues. And then you did do an entire Druid sequence in B &W which was so nice. So maybe like that, let your new issues be both black and white, and ‘four-colored’.

This’s somehow my first full re-read, a new issue every night, and it’s intensely entertaining. It was decidedly a cool thrill to come across the pages I have on my wall. After the first, I found myself watching for them. If ever there’s a day, the page where Molachi the Immortal suckers Jack then hops out of his robot-suit, “Idiot!”, and that where Molachi faces off with Nagarik (did you think we would wait around forever?) are two I also admire. Made me laugh out loud twice that issue (The Special).
And what issues these Image issues be! Literally, yes, “literally”, cover-to-cover comics. You were really packing value into these!

You mention in a couple of different “Flag Wavings” that people find JS confusing because the title-character is often not the featured character, but it’s more than that. Reading JS is an act of trust that eventually things will, if not ‘all come together,’ at least cross paths. And it’s a trust well rewarded, in cleverness and cool pictures.
Have just begun “Weird World of”. That’s pretty much where you left us for “Mudman”. Over-all I like the black and white issues best. The Image issues became crowded with threads and characters and so little at a time it was hard to remember. But it certainly does come together at last.

I’m feeling prepared for a new issue. I will greet it like a friend. I will say, Hellooo, new issue!
Thank you for your comics—

best wishes,
Matt Levin

WALKING MAN COMICS--https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walking-Man-Comics/142371289185184

Post subject: Re: Jack Staff re-read, and--Coming Comics!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 pm 

Thanks for the comments Matt - though I have to point out that I'm not planning any new issues of Jack Staff this year.

At the moment I'm working on a new series which will run in the Judge Dredd Megazine. It's called Demon Nic, and will run for 8 parts - each part being around 15 - 16 pages. Then there will be a return to Mudman, with some new Kane stories to follow.

Post subject: Re: Jack Staff re-read, and--Coming Comics!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:46 am 

So, Paul, when's the next Jack Staff trade coming out?

They Got the Fin Wrong!