Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Mudman #1
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:20 pm 

Welcome to my world. Next stop Kane.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 pm 

Fun first issue, so great to have a Paul Grist comic in my mitts again. It seems that this book is getting a lot of love, I hope that means really good things going forward.

Two things, one to do with the story. I'm not quite sure what drove Owen to put on the costume and charge someone who was carrying guns. Especially since he wasn't aware he had powers at all at that point. Maybe just a heat of the moment decision because his dad was in trouble, thinking he could scare the crook? I'm now thinking that was probably his intention.

The other thing has to do with Paul's editorial bit in the inside front cover (something I've always appreciated, I love creator editorial and commentary in their comics) I only half agree with the sentiment about Loving Comics. Particularly this bit;
Quote:
Now, when I say Comics, I'm not talking about 'sequential art' or any of those other fancy terms folks use when they're trying to be clever about comics. I'm talking about 32 pages of folded paper held together by a couple of staples. Comics.

The notion that 'Comics' can, and should, only be presented in stapled folded paper strikes me as a bit limiting to the artform as a whole. And maybe even limiting the economic model of comics itself going forward into the future.

I do agree with the notion that SERIALIZED stories are the most desirable aspect of comics, just not that monthly installments limited to 32 (often fewer) printed pages is the only way to go about selling them to consumers.

And the notion that collected editions some how limit the act of rereading comics you've already read strikes me as silly. I reread collected editions all time. Sometimes I even reread single issue in collected editions rather then the whole thing at once. You probably mean reread a single installment multiple times before going on to the next installment. I suppose there is some truth to that. But I rarely reread my single issue purchases before the next one comes out as it is. So that's hardly a uniquely collected edition development.

So yeah, I both agree and disagree some of your editorial. But what I can agree with is that yes, like you, I do love Comics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:24 pm 

Owen was just attempting a distraction and hoping to startle the guy. To be honest probably not the smartest thing to do, but then he was in a bit of a panic, and it seemed like an idea.

I NEVER said that comics should only be presented as 32 page stapled comic books - there's a miriad variaty of formats and they're all fine and dandy. I was just saying I like the stapled monthly format, but I feel we're doing that format a bit of a diservice right now.

Also I never said that TPBs stop you rereading the single issues - my point was that people who just buy the trade have a different reading experience especially given the whole 'writing for the trade' attitude. I do think if you want to do a 120 page book that's fine. Just release it as a book. If you're putting out a monthly comic then it should have a bit more about it than the next 20 + pages of an unyet collected TPB.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:59 pm 

Oh I think I understand now. You're saying if a creator is going to make comics in a monthly serialized format, they should make comics FOR a monthly serialized format. Instead of just taking a 120 page graphic novel and breaking it into 6 parts. Creators should create content for the format they're working on, instead of trying to cram another into its parameters.

I actually agree with this on a number of levels (for example, while I like that DC seems to be taking digital comics seriously, ultimately all they are doing is taking comics intended for print in a certain size format and publishing them on a medium that has entirely different viewing dimensions (PC Monitor). Therefor spoiling the flow of a print comic page by requiring annoying scrolling and zooming. Its taking something intended for one format, and taking no advantage of the other format's strengths.

I guess I just needed clarification, I guess we might be entirely on the same page about comics after all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm 

I grabbed a vat of pumpkin ice cream and reread Mudman. I think the first time, I was impatient for information (such as, what triggered the change in Owen). Realizing those answers will be revealed down the line, I much more enjoyed it. Also, am I the first to notice the song playing on the radio was by Mud?