Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Upcoming projects?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am 

jerad741 wrote:
Jay Faerber wrote:
There's one project that might come together that involves super-heroes, but honestly, it's the one with the least chance of happening.

I wrote super-hero books almost exclusively for the first decade of my career and right now I'm having a lot of fun playing in other genres. Plus, it's incredibly hard to do a super-hero book these days. Marvel and DC pretty much have that stuff locked up. That's all they focus on, so for the vast majority of comic book fans, if they want super-hero books, Marvel and DC will fill those needs.

-- Jay

Pffft says "vince" :) :D

If you look at it though, that's really the only non Big 2 superhero book that's made it longer than 50 issues. There's been a couple others that have come close, but not many.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 am 

I am a fan of non supe comics myself, but there are a few huge successes outside of the big two my multiple publishers.

Hell, off the top of my head, and just on the limited stuff I read...

Savage Dragon
The Boys
Vince
is hack slash a supe comic? Vlad isnt so human any more.
I am loving the tower chronicles from Legendary
The Last of the greats (I know its a mini)
Luther Strode seems to be doing well
Superbia got picked up for an ongoing
The Shadow
Danger club seems to be picking up steam
TMNT

I dunno.. seems to be a few can exist outside of the big two.. I think a market may exist for a couple strong ones just for folks who specifically go against the big two... and we seem to be growing in number. (I say that without fact, just rumblings from those I talk to about comics which is a tiny sample size I admit)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 am 

jerad741 wrote:
I am a fan of non supe comics myself, but there are a few huge successes outside of the big two my multiple publishers.

Savage Dragon
The Boys
Vince
The Shadow
TMNT

I dunno.. seems to be a few can exist outside of the big two.. I think a market may exist for a couple strong ones just for folks who specifically go against the big two... and we seem to be growing in number. (I say that without fact, just rumblings from those I talk to about comics which is a tiny sample size I admit)

I was thinking of on-goings not just mini's. And yeah Dragon is high in issue numbers, and so is Vince. Did The Boys make it to 60 issues? But there are a lot of equally great super hero comics that haven't made it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am 

the boys went 72 issues and only ended because Garth felt he was done with the story, and killed like... everyone. The story was done... remains one of my favorite comics of all time, and without a doubt my favorite superhero comic of all time (yes, even above Vince)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am 

jerad741 wrote:

Savage Dragon
The Boys
Vince
The Shadow
TMNT

Out of all those books you listed, I think THE BOYS is the only one I'd consider a huge success in today's market. SAVAGE DRAGON is a fantastic book and I have nothing but respect and admiration for Erik, but the book's current numbers aren't very strong.

And don't get me wrong -- there are some great books on that list, and I commend anyone willing to swim against the tide by trying to do an independent super-hero book in today's climate.

It's just not something I, personally, have a huge interest in doing at the moment. I still might -- there's one project kicking around my head that I might pull the trigger on -- but as I said, I'm having more fun playing around in other genres that I haven't spent nearly as much time in.

-- Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am 

Jay Faerber wrote:
jerad741 wrote:

Savage Dragon
The Boys
Vince
The Shadow
TMNT

Out of all those books you listed, I think THE BOYS is the only one I'd consider a huge success in today's market. SAVAGE DRAGON is a fantastic book and I have nothing but respect and admiration for Erik, but the book's current numbers aren't very strong.

And don't get me wrong -- there are some great books on that list, and I commend anyone willing to swim against the tide by trying to do an independent super-hero book in today's climate.

It's just not something I, personally, have a huge interest in doing at the moment. I still might -- there's one project kicking around my head that I might pull the trigger on -- but as I said, I'm having more fun playing around in other genres that I haven't spent nearly as much time in.

-- Jay

Maybe I am misunderstanding, or ignorant of my perception of Vince... but did you just say you didnt consider Robert Kirkman's invincible a huge success in today's market? I didnt know that there was a larger success outside of The Walking Dead than invincible. Most Kirkfans around this board claim to be bigger fans of invincible than walking dead. I thought Hack Slash and TMNT were also doing well in today's market?

I hear you that doing an independent sup comic outside of Vince is pretty impossible, though doable as it has been done and strode seems to be doing wellish... and I wasnt suggesting you do that more; I am just saying success outside of the big two does exist.

Now I am going to do what I can to difuse the situation, but I am pretty sure Capuga's head is going to explode if he reads the above. :D :lol: (just kidding cap)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am 

I think the larger issue is a lot of the non Big 2 super heros don't succeed. Or last. And Jay is enjoying writing comics outside of super hero stuff. Which is cool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 am 

jerad741 wrote:
Maybe I am misunderstanding, or ignorant of my perception of Vince... but did you just say you didnt consider Robert Kirkman's invincible a huge success in today's market? I didnt know that there was a larger success outside of The Walking Dead than invincible. Most Kirkfans around this board claim to be bigger fans of invincible than walking dead. I thought Hack Slash and TMNT were also doing well in today's market?

Sorry -- I missed INVINCIBLE in that list since you'd mentioned it earlier. Yes, I absolutely consider INVINCIBLE to be a success -- and a damned big one!

And everybody's gauge is different, but I don't really consider HACK/SLASH or TMNT to be super-hero books. I'd even quibble with THE SHADOW and TMNT being on that list since they're both established properties that have been around for awhile. One way to compete with Marvel and DC is to do what Dynamite is doing, and use licensed and public domain characters that already have some sort of "brand" so you're not starting from scratch.

-- Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 am 

Jay Faerber wrote:
jerad741 wrote:

Sorry -- I missed INVINCIBLE in that list since you'd mentioned it earlier. Yes, I absolutely consider INVINCIBLE to be a success -- and a damned big one!

And everybody's gauge is different, but I don't really consider HACK/SLASH or TMNT to be super-hero books. I'd even quibble with THE SHADOW and TMNT being on that list since they're both established properties that have been around for awhile. One way to compete with Marvel and DC is to do what Dynamite is doing, and use licensed and public domain characters that already have some sort of "brand" so you're not starting from scratch.

-- Jay

Good point on TMNT and Shadow.. I get what you are saying Jay.. I was just talkin.

And thank you for clarifying on vince... I thought I could hear Capuga's teeth grinding from here, and he lives like 2000 miles from me! That could have just been the voices in my head again though. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 pm 

jerad741 wrote:
Jay Faerber wrote:
jerad741 wrote:

-- Jay

Good point on TMNT and Shadow.. I get what you are saying Jay.. I was just talkin.

And thank you for clarifying on vince... I thought I could hear Capuga's teeth grinding from here, and he lives like 2000 miles from me! That could have just been the voices in my head again though. ;)

I'd never intentionally diss INVINCIBLE! I'm a huge fan!

-- Jay