So for 5/31 - 6/6 we're reading Volume 2: Family Secrets? That would take us through the first 8 issues.
So my thoughts after reading this volume:
- We finally get a look at the Nobles using their superpowers a little (other than Race being really fast and Frost being misty). Gaia gets some lightening flying around when Liz doesn't handle the interview question regarding Zephyr's pregnancy very well. Rusty pounds on a Mega Force team pretty easily (he seems to have some anger control issues in general). It's funny that there is very little superheroing overall in this title. Seems the Nobles focus more on being celebrities more than doing actual superhero work. Almost makes you wonder what they did to become so famous to start with.
- It was fun to see Rusty going around the superhero community trying to find out who Zephyr's baby daddy is. We catch a glimpse of Invincible in what must have been one of his earliest appearances. The must be before The Pact in the timeline since neither he nor Firebreather doesn't know who Zephyr is (is The Pact considered canon for these stories?).
- Hope Liz's therapist was well paid for the info on Zephyr's pregnancy because she's going to lose her license for sure. I wonder how many actual celebrity's therapists are tempting to sell scandalous info to the press?
- It is really kind of gross that Zephyr slept with Draconis. Seriously, that's going above and beyong trying to get back at your overbearing parents.
- Was surprised that Doc actually killed Draconis. Seemed like they were having a genuine bonding moment. Not enough to become friends but maybe enough to give him a pass for the day.
- I do give some props to Zephyr for giving Gaia the tongue lashing she so richly deserves. Gaia clearly cares more about the PR than her family's actual feelings.
- We see a little bit of back story on Frost growing up. He is probably the most sympathetic character in the books at this point even when he's sometimes a jerk.
Wait, Draconis was killed? I thought Doc simply shot him with a beam gun. Hmm. Okay.
But yeah, this was a great read. The soap opera elements are a lot of fun to read and I liked that we're getting more depth with the characters. The scene with Doc and Draconis was most definitely my favorite part, them discussing their struggles on being fathers and their "bonding" over their sons' friendship. The honesty between them was very well written and you felt for them, especially Draconis. And yeah, I'm glad I'm doing a re-reading after all these years because a lot of these story points and twists and turns feel rather new for me. I totally forgot who the father was going to be. Also, Rusty going through the Image superhero community in search of Zephr's baby daddy was great. I loved Patriot's and Firebreather's responses.
While you may not be enjoying Celeste, it's Gaia who annoys me. Her whole thing with the public image just rubs me wrong, and I understand from her POV, but the fact that it causes her to neglect Frost annoys me. And still, the revelation of Frost's father was great. I think I'm remembering a bit of that backstory, but I'm excited to get back into it again.