Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fargo TV
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:55 pm 

Just wondering what Jay thinks of this. I can't watch crime drama without thinking of the backmatter from Near Death, especially.

I won't put in my two cents except to say that Bob Odenkirk should be in every crime drama from here on, and Better Call Saul better be great! What character could he play in a Near Death TV series?

Post subject: Re: Fargo TV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:49 am 

I think FARGO is fantastic. I really went into it kind of wary, because it's so hard to strike that tone that the Coen Brothers are so good at -- balancing "dark" with "quirky." But I think Noah Hawley has succeeded. It's just a great show and I can't wait to see how it wraps up.

I'm very skeptical about BETTER CALL SAUL. I really think they should've let BREAKING BAD alone after it finished. It's so hard to do a satisfying sequel, but if anyone can do it, Vince Gilligan and company can.

Odenkirk could easily be Mr. Novak, Markham's old boss.

-- Jay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:00 pm 

I just started the penultimate episode and it's pretty great so far. I think this may be better than the movie, but only because they have so many more hours to use to really flesh things out.

I understand there's the possibility for a second season that keeps nothing but the title. I guess I'd play it more safe if I was in charge, by having a new case but keeping at least Molly and her dad around. Allison Tolman manages to stand out even with this monster cast.

I read that even Gilligan is kind of second guessing Saul. That may be too strong a characterization of his comments, but he's aware that the possibility for screwing things up exists. I really hope they can buck the odds and come out with something on the level of BB and now Fargo.

Noah Hawley did a show called The Unusuals about five years ago. It had some of the cast members from Fargo (Adam Goldberg and Josh Close). It was pretty great but only lasted about 10 episodes. I mourned that and Terriers for a long time. Still mourn Terriers, actually.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:27 am 

I think TRUE DETECTIVE and AMERICAN HORROR STORY have changed the game a bit, in terms of convincing cable channels to do series where they don't have to keep the same cast (or even premise) each season. And I love that. It makes the series much more unpredictable. Truly anyone can die.

I knew about THE UNUSUALS, but I didn't realize Hawley created it. Makes me more intrigued to check it out. Too bad it's not streaming anywhere.

-- Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:45 am 

It looks like it's on Amazon as both a DVD set and Instant Video. I'm not sure it's worth $30 for an unfinished show, and I'm not sure I can go back to DVD quality for an HD show. Should be noted that it also has Harold Perrineau, who is always good.

Loved the ending of Fargo. I don't usually revisit shows that just aired, but I'll get this on Blu-Ray. I read the ratings were not so good, so I don't know if it'll be back or not. Maybe FX gives shows a little more rope, especially when they are acclaimed.