Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: THE RED WING
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:28 am 

Check out the review of The Red Wing #1 over at Image Addiction and then come back here to discuss..... THE RED WING #1 REVIEW

"The writing is smart, creative, and engaging. The art is crisp, fluid and provides a natural flow to lead the reading through each time stream as well as each page." - Image Addiction

IMAGE ADDICTION

Post subject: Re: THE RED WING
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:01 am 

My first impressions of Mr. Hickman's writing was not promising. I picked up The Nightly News tp after hearing some buzz, and thought it was tinfoil hat wearing nonsense. Very disappointed. Great art and neat usage of text though. I decided to take another change and picked up the first issue of Pax Romana, and was disappointed to find more of the same. I sort of put Hickman out of my mind after that, until I started hearing buzz about his Marvel work. I took a chance on SHIELD... and got a little conflicted. Parts were good (and the art was solid), but it was attempting to inject conspiracy 'secret history' malarkey into the Marvel Universe, which was sort of what I was disliking from his prior work. Also it got kinda of annoying when every real world visionary or inventor ended up being essentially a 'Marvel' of their time. Sort of goofy. So by the end of that first series, I still wasn't convinced Hickman was for me.

So, and I'm still not sure why I gave him a fourth chance to grab me as a writer, I picked up Red Mass for Mars on a lark. And finally, FINALLY, here was a story I liked, super-hero deconstructionist, but of the legit enjoyable sort. Frankly I thought its biggest weakness was only being four issues. It really needed one or two more to flesh out its conclusion a little more. But finally here was a Jonathan Hickman I liked.

Which brings me to The Red Wing #1. Which thankfully seems to fall on the Red Mass side of the spectrum. I'm a fan of time travel used in unique and original ways, and this seems to be doing just that. Great art style, and some compeling idea. I'm glad someone out there is trying to write science fiction comics that don't involve tights.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:08 am 

I might buy this title,but I'm still thinking about it.I might wait till it becomes a TPB.We'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:47 am 

Nick Pitarra is an instant classic. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:54 am 

I really enjoyed the first issue and we just scratched the surface of the world/universe that Hickman created for it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:42 am 

With #4 right around the corner, are there any plans for a TPB? :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:51 pm 
M3K

Jim Purcell wrote:
My first impressions of Mr. Hickman's writing was not promising. I picked up The Nightly News tp after hearing some buzz, and thought it was tinfoil hat wearing nonsense. Very disappointed. Great art and neat usage of text though. I decided to take another change and picked up the first issue of Pax Romana, and was disappointed to find more of the same. I sort of put Hickman out of my mind after that, until I started hearing buzz about his Marvel work. I took a chance on SHIELD... and got a little conflicted. Parts were good (and the art was solid), but it was attempting to inject conspiracy 'secret history' malarkey into the Marvel Universe, which was sort of what I was disliking from his prior work. Also it got kinda of annoying when every real world visionary or inventor ended up being essentially a 'Marvel' of their time. Sort of goofy. So by the end of that first series, I still wasn't convinced Hickman was for me.

So, and I'm still not sure why I gave him a fourth chance to grab me as a writer, I picked up Red Mass for Mars on a lark. And finally, FINALLY, here was a story I liked, super-hero deconstructionist, but of the legit enjoyable sort. Frankly I thought its biggest weakness was only being four issues. It really needed one or two more to flesh out its conclusion a little more. But finally here was a Jonathan Hickman I liked.

Which brings me to The Red Wing #1. Which thankfully seems to fall on the Red Mass side of the spectrum. I'm a fan of time travel used in unique and original ways, and this seems to be doing just that. Great art style, and some compeling idea. I'm glad someone out there is trying to write science fiction comics that don't involve tights.

Jim you might try John's Secret Warriors from Marvel ( Which I was very sad to see end ) and Transhuman from Image. Both very good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:51 am 

traehnogard wrote:
With #4 right around the corner, are there any plans for a TPB? :)

I would think a trade is a natural

IMAGE ADDICTION

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:42 pm 

Why is Red Wing a mini anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:11 pm 

RedWing trade is out tomorrow guys!

http://www.nickpitarra.com