Image Comics Community

Message Board
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Foreign Editions of Savage Dragon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:53 pm 

Okay, as I was saying on the "how to boost SD Sales" thread, I'll start here a thread on foreign editions of Savage Dragon. I'll add stuff as I learn more about these, or hopefully as more translations of the book appear worldwide. Other non-Americans like me are welcome to chime in and add information that a limited google search might not help unearth.

Let's start with...

Image ITALY:

Source : http://cambiareomorire.blogspot.com/200 ... klist.html

Savage Dragon started to be published in Italy by Star Comics in the anthology book Spawn & Savage Dragon. Check out these classic Erik covers with Spawn's cover dress ! :

Apparently, the run of Spawn & Savage Dragon by Star Comics included the initial mini-series (published in S&SD #1 to 4), then issues 1 to 22 of the ongoing, published more or less regularly in S&SD #5 to 32. The whole Star Comics run was published from 1993 to 1995, pretty soon after it was released in the States!

Star Comics also released Jason Pearson's "Blood & Guts" mini in issues 14-16 of their magazine Star Magazine Oro.

Then let's move on to Lexy Comics. Contrary to Star Comics, they devoted a whole ongoing book to Savage Dragon this time, starting with #23, with three U.S. issues per book. Thus, Lexy's Savage Dragon n°1 contains issues 23, 24 and 25.

Judging from this cover, they would add nifty bonuses like sketchbook sections, probably from the trades. This one seems to be a limited edition (400 copies only) for some reason.

Lexy also released their own version of the initial mini, like Star Comics did, but using the Baptism of Fire trade as a basis, with the whole of its bonus material, apparently :

(100 copies only? Man, I hope they had *another* version with a bigger run!)

As far as the ongoing is concerned (I'm talking US issue numbers), Lexy published #s 23-37 in their triple issue format. That's only 5 Italian issues. Man, I'm starting to see a pattern here. It lasted from 1995 to 1997.

Next : Indy Press. And a new publisher means a new #1! Instead of 3 U.S. issues per book, they went for *four* issues, and it lasted a whopping... Two Italian issues. That's U.S. issues 38 to #45.

ImageImage

But wait...! It seems that "Indy Press" was either a part of or an earlier incarnation of yet another publisher called Edizioni BD, and *these* guys finally got it right, apparently, since the book seems to be still going strong and they are on their way to enter the Emperor Kurr era! Too many covers to copy-paste, so I'll just give you the link to their Dragon catalog :

http://www.edizionibd.it/catalogo.php?type=13

... oh, all right, here's a few of these :

(I love the one that says "La Grande Crisi", although I also loved Erik's solution of placing the logo on the ground)

Seems like, although it's been sort of a rolling stone what with all the different publishers, Savage Dragon is doing pretty good in Italy, in the end ! In the next post, we'll see how the book fares somewhere else in Europe...

Post subject: Re: Foreign Editions of Savage Dragon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm 

I'm all over this... loving these examples. I definitely look forward for more.

My memory may be failing me, but I think I saw some Savage World era issues in Madrid, Spain back in '02.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:51 am 

Well, since you mentioned it, Michel, let's continue with...

Image SPAIN:
... or is it Image CATALONIA (?):

Source : http://www.aletaediciones.com/Galerias/ ... dragon.htm

What's the difference, you say? Well, Spanish and Catalan are not exactly the same languages, although they obviously come from the same source. Google's language tools did not help me verify if the website mentioned above is written either in Spanish or Catalan, but Aleta Ediciones, the publishing house putting out Dragon translations, seems to be located in Santa Perpètua de Mogoda, a city in Catalonia. Well, anyway, Catalonia is in Spain, so that's the Spanish edition of Savage Dragon, even though I'm not sure it's translated in Spanish (my head hurts).

We have mentioned these Spanish editions several times on the old and new forums. It starts with the Savage World era, and the most disturbing thing is that the covers of the first twelve issues are repainted versions of Erik's covers!

Sure, Spain, like France, has had a tradition of using locally-made painted covers for their editions of Marvel Comics in the 60s and 70s. The best-known artists in that tradition are probably Lopez Espi (Spain) and Jean Frisano (France)...

(Left: Espi; Right: Frisano)

... but even when they took a cue from the original covers, Espi and Frisano generally did their own thing, added their own touch to the composition. These first twelve covers from the Spanish edition of Savage Dragon are just Erik's covers with a layer of paint on top! Weird. The painter's name seems to be Jimenez, as several of these pieces are signed -- but he also left Erik's signature on the covers, thank God!

Some of these don't look half bad and have even a nice Bisley/Corben-esque touch to them, like this one...

... but still it seems weird to have this "half-creative" approach. In the end, Jimenez *did* one cover on his own, not using Erik's work as a basis, just like old Espi would have done:

After these first twelve issues, Aleta Ediciones finally wised up and started using Erik's covers as-is, with no paint coating. The book was also renumbered. So you have:

- Savage Dragon año 1 (Year One) #1-12, contains Savage Dragon (US ongoing) #76-99. Painted covers.
- Savage Dragon año 2 (Year Two) #1-9, contains Savage Dragon (US ongoing) #100-115. Regular covers.

As you can see, like part of the Italian edition mentioned in my last post, this Spanish edition contained two US issues per book. I guess they were sold on the newspaper/magazine market.

Aleta's website contains a summary of sorts of the pre-Savage World era to get readers up to speed. But they eventually published a translation of the first two archives, in B&W, apparently pretty similar to the US edition :

As you can see, Savage Dragon Archivos is published under a different imprint called "Dolmen Editorial", but I guess it's all part of the same publishing house. Since these big, 320-page books are probably sold in bookstores, maybe Dolmen is Aleta's branch devoted to that particular market. Pure speculation on my part, of course.

So, the Spanish reading audience has got the initial mini, and issues 1-21 and 76-115 all covered. Plus, Aleta/Dolmen also released both of Kirkman's SuperPatriot minis. I'd say they're doing pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:55 pm 

JayWicky wrote:
Some of these don't look half bad and have even a nice Bisley/Corben-esque touch to them, like this one...

Yeah, these are... kinda cool when you put it like that. I can really see Corben in this, and that one original cover wasn't bad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:00 pm 

Here's a couple more from the "Spawn & Savage Dragon" run (Italy).
I just added a bunch of photos over on SpawnWorld

Spawn & Savage Dragon 6

Spawn & Savage Dragon 12

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:51 pm 

Speaking of foreign editions, this one's not of Dragon, but it is of Trimpe's Hulk:

http://www.samehat.com/2010/11/koike-ka ... erica.html

[I can't post an image here at the moment... but boy, do those covers look weird, cluttered, and cool.]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 pm 

Here are the covers from a german edition of Savage Dragon from a few years ago. It shared an issue with the german edition of Powers. It started with teh Savage Worl, but didn't last very long.

The scans are not very good, but I think you can get the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:26 pm 

Remember Erik's issue of WildC.A.T.s that guest-starred Dragon and Freak Force. Well, read all about its Japanese translation!

They Got the Fin Wrong!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:22 pm 

Cool stuff! The international language of Dragon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:56 pm 

John Pannozzi wrote:
Remember Erik's issue of WildC.A.T.s that guest-starred Dragon and Freak Force. Well, read all about its Japanese translation!

That's great. I love seeing these things. Thanks for that, John.